Saturday 22 August 2009

What I’ve Been Up to Lately

H’okay! So, this blog post, I have four, count ‘em, FOUR movie reviews for you. While I was with my aunt last weekend, we saw 3 movies, 17 Again, Julie and Julia, and New in Town. THEN on Monday, I went to Universal Studios, and after I came home, watched the movie Seven Pounds. I guess the easiest way to do this would be in the order I saw them in, so here goes!

17 Again
Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Ohh no! Not that lame Zac Efron movie!!”, but before you dismiss it entirely, let me get on with the review. Now, yes, it has Zac Efron in it, and I dislike Disney stars as much as everyone else in the world, I have to say, Zac Efron is a better actor than I give him credit for. Now, of course, I love love LOVE Matthew Perry, also known as Ms. Chanandler Bong Chandler Bing from FRIENDS, but Zac actually did a very good job of playing a 33 year-old man (Assuming his daughter is 16) in a 17 year old’s body. A few of the scenes with Efron’s character and his ex-wife were awkward, because you’re thinking, even though you know he’s not REALLY 17, “Ew, ew, perverted teenager!”. I wouldn’t reccomend this movie for kids over 13. There is some swearing and sexual references. OH! And Neil, Zac/Matthew’s character’s best friend, is a TOTAL geek. I love it. He’s the kind of guy that is into Star Wars and Star Trek and LOTR. I actually used to have a small model of the Star Wars craft that was his bed, in the movie. Oh, uh, that wasn’t a part of the review, but, uh, moving on…
Anyway, this was a pretty good movie, all things considered. I’d give it three and a half out of five stars. ***1/2
—-
Julie and Julia
This one, we saw in theatres. Basically, this is a movie with TWO storylines, the first being Julia Child’s years after moving to Paris, going to cooking school, and then having a BIG hand in the making and publishing a French cookbook for “Serventless American housewives”. The second storyline is that of Julie Powell, who, in 2002 decided that she would cook her way through Julia Child’s famous cookbook in a year and write a blog about it (Hehehe…), now, I’m going to pause right here and get ready for a topic derailment. I love food (which is pretty obvious if I am not mistaken), and I love to cook, but no way in HECK would I ever even be ABLE to do this, I would weigh, like, a million more pounds than I already do, and can I just say: Pepto Bismol. I mean, really…
Okay, anyway, so that’s pretty much the movie, going through the rises and the falls of those time periods in Julie’s life and in Julia’s. The good and the bad. There was a lot more swearing than I would’ve thought. Didn’t know Amy Adam’s COULD swear, I mean, the last two movies I saw her in were Enchanted and Doubt, for goodness’ sake! I would say for this movie 11 and up. This movie gets 4 and a half out of 5 stars. ****1/2
—-
New in Town
This movie was better than I thought it would be, granted, I had no idea what it was about. Basically, this kind of stuck up successful chick climbing up the corporate ladder in Florida (Renne Zellwegger) is transferred to (wait for it..) Minnesota to help their company get more money, or something. She hates it there, and soon forges an emnity with Harry Connick Jr.’s character, who is the union rep or something and a widower with a teenage daughter. Eventually, she grows to like it in Minnesota, and she falls in love with HCJ’s character. It also has the guy who plays Juno’s dad in it as Stan, and that lady that’s in romantic comdedies and such.  Pretty much the stereotypes of Minnesota, the stereotypical accent, everyone in the town seemed to be “religious” despite the enjoyment of happy hour, and they were almost all of Scandinavian descent (I’m a Norwegian and I have relatives in North Dakota and Wisconsin, similar stereotypes exist there).
But all in all, it was a pretty good movie. A few sensual moments, but pretty kosher. 5 of 5. *****
And now,  for the bear of a movie I watched on Monday…
—-
Seven Pounds
Oh. My. Word. That is just about all I can say about this movie. Because it’s such an intense movie, and it’s the kind where you have to piece everything together as you go along, I’m going to try to not give any spoilers. It is one of those movies that is AMAZINGLY good, Will Smith and company did fantastic jobs in the movie, but the ending is one that will tear you into small pieces from the inside out, chew you up, swallow you, and regurgitate you on to searing white hot pavement, still living. I cried SO much during this movie. And I’m not talking about your typical girl crying at a sad movie, either, I was SOBBING, that’s how sad it was, and I remember wanting to scream, but I was crying too hard. This movie was legit, hardcore DEPRESSING. It was AMAZING, but it was SO depressing. My mom didn’t realize what the movie was about or how it ended, but she’d never have rented it had she known. I don’t regret seeing the movie, but I’m giving you a heads up if you see it, you WILL cry and the end WILL be painful to watch.
Seven out of five stars. *******

Well, that’s about it for me, I’m out. Reviews and opinions welcome!
-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment